Marketing on DuckDuckGo
DuckDuckGo is becoming an increasingly popular search engine due to the fact that individuals are paying more attention to the tracking of their online activity being utilized by other search engines. Restricting paid ads to the “usual” search engines which have historically held a majority of market share may be limiting your exposure to potential customers and clients.
If you’ve been thinking about incorporating DuckDuckGo into your PPC stack, here are some facts you need to know at a glance:
- DuckDuckGo uses info from Apple Maps vs. Google Maps for location searches.
- DuckDuckGo uses Yelp search results for ratings and review searches.
- DuckDuckGo has about 1% of market share of all searches in the United States according to Stat Counter. Data is based on usage from Feb 2018 thru Feb 2019.
Source: StatCounter Global Stats – Search Engine Market Share
- DuckDuckGo market share (users) in the United States has grown at an average rate of +75% over the past four years.
- In SriLanka, DuckDuckGo is as preferred as Google, providing the same number of search results to the same number of users in that region of the globe. (More details from Quora.)
- DuckDuckGo paid ads uses the same model as Google and Bing – you only pay for clicks, not impressions or a monthly fee.
- More than half the searches on DuckDuckGo are on mobile, compatible with Apple iPhones since it’s using Apple location data.
- Location based searches are just as valid on DuckDuckGo since search results are based on keyword. So when a user types in “Dentist in Smallville,” the location is within the query. “Near me” queries are typically made on a mobile device and therefore using the location data sent via the phone.
- Use a Bing Ad account to run ads on DuckDuckGo.
- DuckDuckGo has agreements with Amazon and Ebay, meaning product searches on DuckDuckGo will result in Amazon and Ebay results vs. Google Shopping results – good to know if you have an e-commerce site.
- DuckDuckGo is not know for “influencing” user experience or attempting to include “ephemeral” messages on SERPs. In fact, the attractiveness of DuckDuckGo to many users is that the search engine provides results based on nothing except keyword relevancy.
- Remarketing and Retargeting are not available to users of DuckDuckGo since the search engine retains no user data.
For digital marketing help contact the Savvy Sister Marketing team. We specialize in small and mid-sized businesses, and we empower business owners to understand their marketing and what increases their bottom line. Call Now – We’ll Get You There.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!